Raychem self-regulating electric heat trace cables automatically adjust their power output to compensate for temperature changes. Heat is generated as electric current passes through the conductive polymer core between the conductors. As the temperature drops, the number of electrical paths through the core increases and more heat is produced. Conversely, as the temperature rises, the core has fewer electrical paths and less heat is produced.
Raychem XL-Trace and Raychem WinterGard self-regulating heat trace cables:
- Can be used for metal or plastic pipes
- Have a cross-linked, conductive polymer core forming a parallel circuit
- Can be cut to length, spliced or repaired on site
- Offer different power output levels to suit the needs of each application
- Are protected by a tinned-copper braid and are available with a durable outer jacket to withstand mechanical abuse during installation
Advanced Control Systems
Pentair Thermal Management offers two advanced control systems and a basic thermostat controller for freeze pipe freeze protection systems: The DigiTrace C910 and DigiTrace ACCS-30 controllers are specifically designed for use with Raychem XL-Trace cables; whereas the DigiTrace AMC-F5 controller is best suited for Raychem WinterGard cables.
- Is ideal for smaller buildings with critical piping systems that require monitoring
- Can control a single heating cable circuit
- Is ideal for large freeze protection systems or multiple heat-tracing applications
- Can control up to 260 heating cable circuits from a single user interface for site wide monitoring
Both controllers provide:
- Multiple temperature inputs
- Ground-fault protection
- Alarm contacts
- Building Management System (BMS) integration
- Line sensing, ambient or Proportional Ambient Sensing Control (PASC) to optimize the energy savings for your specific needs.
Note: PASC regulates the power of the heating cable system to the real-time ambient temperature, saving up to 30% of the energy over conventional ambient control systems
- Is a basic thermostat for the Raychem WinterGard system
- It has a fixed set point of 40°F (4°C)
- It can be used for ambient-sensing or line-sensing
- It can be used to control a single heat tracing circuit, or as a pilot control of a contactor switching multiple heat tracing circuits